Sustainable Development of a new pilot neighborhood in Belgrade. Block 39 in New Belgrade (Serbia)
New Belgrade is a new settlement. Its development began in 1948 on formally swampy terrain which was levied with sand. However, the municipality’s name appeared much earlier than the settlement was formed. The story goes that in 1924, on the outskirts of Zemun, Petar Kokotovic opened a tavern and named it Novi Beograd. At this point there is one and a half million square meters of residential and commercial development being constructed. The Faculty of Architecture, University of Belgrade and the School of Architectural Engineering of Politecnico di Milano in collaboration with Polisocial the Social Responsibility Programme of Politecnico di Milano established a General Agreement to develop a join research project, titled: “Sustainable Development of a new pilot neighborhood in Belgrade, via IMM® methodology. The project aims to become a more general paradigm for similar condition in East Europe, defining integrated new strategies based on IMM methodology to retrofit and transform the energy dissipative existing neighbourhood developed during the ’60 and ’70 in more efficient, liveable and integrated urban system. From this project IMM aims to develop particular strategies to help municipalities and local authorities to retrofit, renovate and reactivate inefficient, neglected, energy consuming and unliveable neighbourhood, settled during the Communist time, in a more integrated and sustainable part of the existing cities.